Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Chesterton created a happy Calvinist

John Piper writes an excellent article here regarding G.K. Chesterton, one of C.S. Lewis's mentors. Piper explains how Chesterton, though Catholic and very opposed to the doctrine of predestination and other such Calvinistic doctrine, created in him a love for the mysterious paradoxes found within Christianity.

Having read Orthodoxy within the last year myself, I'd say this book did a similar thing for me as well. I doubly recommend reading this book.

Here's how Piper's article starts:
"May 29 is G. K. Chesterton’s 134th birthday. He was a British journalist and brilliant writer. Nobody exploits the power of paradox like Chesterton.

I celebrate his birthday by recommending his book Orthodoxy.

The title gives no clue as to what you will find inside. It had a huge influence on me forty years ago in ways that would have exasperated Chesterton. He did all he could to keep me from becoming a Calvinist, and instead made me a romantic one—a happy one."

1 comment:

  1. i concur, I find myself wanting to read it all the time.

    ReplyDelete