Saturday, April 18, 2009

Leading lives of quiet desperation

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation...and go to the grave with the song still in their heart." - Henry David Thoreau
I heard this quote again this morning. Thoreau penned this line 150 years ago at a place called Walden Pond. The picture above of Walden Pond was taken this past Wednesday as me and the guys were finishing up our New England tour. Trivia Library says that:
"Thoreau isolated himself at Walden Pond in Massachusetts from 1845 to 1847. His experiences during that time were published in Walden (1854), which Thornton Wilder called "a manual of self-reliance." In a well-known passage, Thoreau stated his purpose: "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. I did not wish to live what was not life, living is so dear; nor did I wish to practice resignation..."
I definitely don't want this said about me. Thankfully, in Christ I know I don't have to. He once promised us: "I came that they may have life and have it abundantly."

No comments:

Post a Comment