Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Reading tips

I like reading a lot, as mentioned earlier. And I found this article of reading tips to be very helpful. In the article Tim Challies list 10 ways to read more books and to read them better, or as I would like to say, to read books more better. :)

I'll list the tips here, but check out the article for more info.
1)Read
2)Read widely
3)Read deliberately
4)Read interactively
5)Read with discernment
6)Read heavy books
7)Read light books
8)Read new books
9)Read old books
10)Read what your heroes read

My personal favorite is #9, reading old books. As I've heard many people quote before, and as Tim points out, C.S. Lewis has a great quote that I live by in this arena:
"It is a good rule, after reading a new book, never to allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one in between. If that is too much for you, you should at least read one old one to every three new ones. Every age has its own outlook. It is specially good at seeing certain truths and specially liable to make certain mistakes. We all, therefore, need the books that will correct the characteristic mistakes of our own period. And that means the old books.”

3 comments:

  1. oooo..i like this quote a lot. brooke and justin are getting me more into classics :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. marisa - good stuff, very exciting

    ReplyDelete