Thursday, December 11, 2008

Driscoll on silence

Apparently Mark Driscoll likes my posts on spiritual disciplines and is making posts of his own. He just recently wrote a one on silence. Here are the benefits that he says Scripture says about this discipline:
hearing from God (1 Kings 19:11–13)
waiting patiently for the Lord to act (Lamentations 3:25–28)
worshiping God (Habakkuk 2:20)
knowing God better (Psalm 46:10)
praying effectively (Luke 5:16)
And here's his conclusion:
"My prayer is that those reading this who, like me, are guilty of noise addiction can also experience the regular gift of silence because that is often where God is waiting for us. There was silence before God spoke the world into existence, and silence for forty days before Jesus began His public ministry, which may indicate that silence is what allows us to speak as God intends."
Read the whole thing

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:10 AM

    Mmmm so good. I love meeting Him there. Knowing that at that particular time, I do not have any of the right words to lift up to Him in prayer... and that I CAN just be still and know that He is God. Reveling in His reality in silence.... I've always loved the quote: "Silence is the perfectest herald of joy. I were but little happy if I could say how much."
    Shakespeare

    ReplyDelete