Friday, November 07, 2008

The Freedom of Life in the Spirit

The following comes from Galatians 5, starting in verse 16 (The Message version)
"It is absolutely clear that God has called you to a free life. Just make sure that you don't use this freedom as an excuse to do whatever you want to do and destroy your freedom. Rather, use your freedom to serve one another in love; that's how freedom grows. For everything we know about God's Word is summed up in a single sentence: Love others as you love yourself. That's an act of true freedom...Live freely, animated and motivated by God's Spirit. Then you won't feed the compulsions of selfishness. For there is a root of sinful self-interest in us that is at odds with a free spirit, just as the free spirit is incompatible with selfishness. These two ways of life are antithetical, so that you cannot live at times one way and at times another way according to how you feel on any given day. Why don't you choose to be led by the Spirit and so escape the erratic compulsions of a law-dominated existence?...Since this is the kind of life we have chosen, the life of the Spirit, let us make sure that we do not just hold it as an idea in our heads or a sentiment in our hearts, but work out its implications in every detail of our lives. That means we will not compare ourselves with each other as if one of us were better and another worse."
I was really helped by this earlier this morning. It's so easy for me to be selfish. It's difficult to remember the Truth that getting outside myself and serving others in love is where true freedom lies. I often let my emotions dictate how I act towards people, instead of recalling the Truth of Christ's undeserved and uncoditional love for me. And I burden others by seeking their approval of me, instead of coming to them selflessly, trusting in the One who given me all the approval I need.

Spirit of Christ, set me free.

No comments:

Post a Comment