Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Remember

"The next time your child asks you, 'What do these requirements and regulations and rules that GOD, our God, has commanded mean?' tell your child, 'We were slaves to Pharaoh in Egypt and GOD powerfully intervened and got us out of that country. We stood there and watched as GOD delivered miracle-signs, great wonders, and evil-visitations on Egypt, on Pharaoh and his household. He pulled us out of there so he could bring us here and give us the land he so solemnly promised to our ancestors. That's why GOD commanded us to follow all these rules, so that we would live reverently before GOD, our God, as he gives us this good life, keeping us alive for a long time to come." - Deuteronomy 6:20-24 (The Message)
I love reading through the narrative of the Israelites wandering through the desert (even though reading about the exact measurements and fabric needed to make different things isn't the most interesting). It's fascinating to see God remind His people over and over and over at least three big things. He says, remember where you came from, remember where you are, and remember where you are going. God redeemed them from their slavery. He is showing them their need for Him in the wilderness, by giving them rules that they cannot keep. But they will soon attain the Promised Land.

That my friends is what you call allegory (even though I do believe it is a historical narrative as well). I constantly need to be reminded that God redeemed me from my slavery to sin. And I constantly need to be reminded, that despite my frustrations and struggle with sin right now, God is renewing me day by day for glory. There is a better country, my real home, that I am in pursuit of. And knowing that will provide the ability to endure and even enjoy the craziness that is involved in this life.

1 comment:

  1. that, my friend, is what you call a good post...good connection to life now. lots of good ones lately on here...

    ReplyDelete