Monday, November 05, 2007

Irony in Modern Intellectual Progress

I've been reading a book called The Passion of the Western Mind by Richard Tarnas. It was Arnold's idea, and a good idea at that. It's just been slow moving.

Anyway, the subtitle is "Understanding the Ideas that have shaped our Worldview." It particularly focuses on the worldview that us "Westerners" operate in. I read this quote tonight:
"...it was the irony of modern intellectual progress that man's genius discovered successive principles of determinism...that steadily attenuated belief in his own rational and volitional freedom, while eliminating his sense of being anything more than a peripheral and transient accident of material evolution."

Now you know why it has been taking me so long to get through it. Good quote though. It points to the fallacy of naturalism and such a high regard for the intellect.

3 comments:

  1. It is on my to-read list and now I am starting to doubt whether I want to even get into it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a deep read. Keep sending out the Sparks Notes David! --ashley o.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah that sounds like a tough read. i got to your blog off of kristen's (kristenbeth.blogspot.com)...it reminds me of 'a new kind of christian' although ankof isn't that hard to follow. i'm still reading it months later though. lol.

    ReplyDelete