Sunday, March 25, 2007

Mute Math and such

Last night, Roy and I went to see a band called Mute Math. The show was absolutely incredible. Their energy and unique sound made for a fun show. And their thoughtful lyrics come as a refreshment in the sea of superficiality found with most bands these days.

One of the songs, "Control," really has some truthful lyrics.
Take control of the atmosphere
Take control of the atmosphere
Take me far away from here
There is no better loss than to lose myself in you

Take control of the atmosphere
Take control of the atmosphere
You can take my world you can fill the air
Take control, take control

It's such a beautiful surrender

This show came on the heels of several days of really being grateful to God for His divine sovereignty. I've been so thankful recently for family, friends, community, my church, my job, my health, beautiful weather, and most of all...my being redeemed. In this song, I am able to declare that God is already holding all things together. And what a beautiful surrender it is to give up all my striving, to just trust He knows what He's doing.

Understanding that God is orchestrating all things to further glorify Himself is really amazing. And understanding that, in the process, He chose to open my blind eyes to His loveliness is even more amazing. So why does He choose Christians to be saved? Check this out from Dueteronomy 6:
"The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for His treasured possession...not because you were more in number that any other people..BUT BECAUSE THE LORD LOVES YOU and is keeping [His oath]"

Amazing! The LORD loves us because He loves us. I'm glad the salvation of my soul rests in the One who is forever faithful, rather than on myself who is severely messed up.

And finally, I can't resist leaving you with a few lines from another Mute Math song called "Progress."
Every moment of time’s just an answer to find
What you’re here for, what you breathe for
What you wake for, what you bleed for

7 comments:

  1. Your new photo makes you look SO professional. I'll be calling you "Sir" from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude, i didn't know they came to town! i just bought their CD after i had heard a few songs...you're right, good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no way...i just read that verse this morning. i love it - "treasured possession" - so cool.
    glad mutemath was awesome - my favorite band live for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arnold - Finally I can get some respect around here

    Gene - Yeah man, sorry you missed it.

    Marisa - very cool how that worked out. For sure a great truth to stand on. And yeah, so quality live. Roy and I were talking and we wonder if they would really be as good as an opener. Becuase the closing band we would be pretty intimidated by their set I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mute math puts on one of the best shows around!

    ReplyDelete
  6. aaron-for sure man. When have you seen them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. i saw them in Athens at the 40 watt last....spring. just b4 Levi was born...so i guess mid April 2006

    ReplyDelete