Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Future Events

I'm heading out Thursday to Minneapolis to attend the Desiring God Conference. Activities include a Q & A time with John Piper, great messages by Piper, Tim Keller, Mark Driscoll, and others, coveting hundreds of great books in their massive bookstore, and spending some quality time with some good friends. Here's a pic from last year's conference.

Also, I found out yesterday that I'll be going to London with Tom Mullis a week from today until that next Sunday. So many cool things came together for that to happen and I am pretty pumped to say the least. I don't know much of what we'll be doing, but I know it involves hooking up with a church over there and getting to know the Muslim culture over there. In fact, when my work told my I'd be able to go yesterday, the rest of my day was significantly altered. In view of my trip I couldn't help just smiling the rest of the day, serving my coworkers better, encouraging them more, and overall working harder.

And then it hit me. There is one other future event that should cause me to live every day of my life that way, namely my eternal inheritance of perfect fellowship with God in heaven. But I often forget about this one. I often complain, often have a sour attitude and disposition, often am slow to help and encourage others. In light of my imperishable, undefiled, and unfading future inheritance, I should be to face any and all setbacks and hardships with joy knowing they are all light and momentary afflictions. Didn't Christ do the same for me?

1 comment:

  1. This is the plight of the Christian experience. Right there with you, bro.

    Have fun in MN with Da Pipe.

    ReplyDelete